This past Christmas I made the perfect lemon sugar cookie recipe. Once people had a bite, they only wanted more. The recipe is super simple and so much fun to do. I don’t have a mixer so I mix everything with a whisk or my hands. If you have a mixer, use it! It’ll be much easier.
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Lemon
- Optional: Sugar Cookie Frosting and Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Mix together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until their creamed together. Use your hands to get a good consistency.
- Add in the vanilla and the egg. Mix that until it’s combined.
- Grab your cheese grater and begin to rub the whole lemon on it. Grate that lemon as much as you can onto the mix. If you don’t, your cookies will not have that lemon flavor.
- Once you can no longer extract the lemon zest, add flour and baking powder to the bowl. Mix with a whisk or large fork. Once there is a play dough consistency, begin mixing with your hands. Keep doing this until it is a giant ball.
- Sprinkle flour onto your surface and place the ball of dough on it. Start to knead it. Grab a rolling pin and sprinkle some flour on it. Begin rolling out the dough as thin as you want it.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out your shapes and place them on your cookie sheet. Make sure the cookie sheet is sprayed with non-stick spray!
- Bake at 300° for 8-10 minutes. Make sure they don’t turn brown because if they do they’ll be tougher and crunchier than desired.
- Frost and decorate the cookies as you please or eat them plain! It’s all up to you.